[DGD] parse_string() help

Joe aishiteru at charter.net
Tue Feb 23 18:43:46 CET 2010

bart at wotf.org wrote:
> Hi Joseph,
>
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 0:45:48 -0500, aishiteru wrote
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am a newbie to DGD in general and am completely out of my element
>> in terms of regexp and parse_string(); however, I need help with a
>> command I am making to colorize an lpc file.  For starters, I have a
>> simple workroom.c file as follows:
>>

> <snip>
>
> Looks like you are running Gurbalib?
>

>> What I am trying to do is parse any of the lpc files on our mud into
>> a colorized output for easier viewing.  For instance, in this
>> command, I'd have the following defines:
>>

> <snip>
>
> Doing this based on (a modified version of) the grammar you posted should be
> possible, but formatting will be lost on the way, and it won't deal with
> incomplete fragments of code. Also, it regards preprocessor statements as
> whitespace.
>
> Beyond that, using an LPC grammar seems overkill, since you are interested in
> marking tokens, not in actual syntax.
>

>> Any ideas on where I can go from here?  Any help would be greatly
>> appreciated by me and the admins of my mud.  Thanks in advance and I
>> apologize for my inexperience.
>>

> Well, my first suggestion would be to try some smaller things with
> parse_string. It is a very powerful tool, but has somewhat of a steep learning
> curve, and trying to use it with a big grammar is probably not the easiest way
> to get upto speed with it.
>
> Bart
> --
> Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/
> Read my weblog at http://soapbox.bartsplace.net/

Yes, I'm running on a modified Gurbalib.  Since, ideally, I'd like to
maintain the format of the LPC file, or even
properly indent it when it is parsed for colors, do you have any
suggestions?  I had done this on a TMI-2
mudlib and had used reg_assoc() to separate all the tokens.  If using an
LPC grammar is overkill, what
would you suggest?  Again, I'm new to this and, while I think I'm bright
enough to muddle through it,
I don't have a clue where to start.

Joseph