[DGD] terminology change

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 23:04:20 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Felix A. Croes <felix at dworkin.nl> wrote:

> > Maybe callouts? They're more like timed callbacks or timers or...
> Something along those lines.
>
> I called them "scheduled tasks" in a web page I set up for Hydra,
> <http://www.dworkin.nl/hydra/> but callouts are actually more than
> that.  They are much more essential than timed callbacks, and you
> don't just pass a pointer to static data along but a bunch of
> arguments that may contain complex datastructures which don't exist
> anywhere else.
>
> "Callout" is an odd name, but nothing else fits quite so well?

Considering that you switched DGD back to "Dworkin's Game Driver" from
"Dworkin's Generic Driver" I think that DGD's history as an LPC driver has
plenty of validity as a support for the term "callout", and I find it not
one bit odd at all for DGD to inherit generic MUD terminology such as this.
 Similar to the terms "efun" and "lfun", dgd offers "afun" and "kfun" as
jargon as well.

Other drivers use the term "callout" as well, so it does fit quite well on
grounds of tradition if nothing else.

I see no problem at all.