[DGD] The future of muds

Neil McBride neil at dogl.net
Sat Sep 25 00:57:48 CEST 2010

Quoting "Felix A. Croes" <felix at dworkin.nl>:

> Muds are dying.
>
> 10 years ago we could still say that muds could survive as they were,
> and that they were more innovative than their successors.  Now even
> the staunch defenders are disappearing, and the innovators moved on
> long ago.  Windows 7 ships without telnet client.
>
> DGD could die with muds, or DGD could help you take the step to
> switching to the web, running a client as a Facebook application so
> that new players can find you again.  The currently ongoing move
> to social networks and HTML5 may be the last good opportunity to
> catch up with the present; it's still new territory and standards
> are not high.
>
> To return to the subject of features planned for my mudlib, here is
> one feature that my mudlib will not offer: a telnet port.  No, not
> even a binary port that telnet will know how to talk to.

Agreed.  I've been working recently on a mudlib that makes use of the
new WebSockets protocol to provide a purely web based interface.  Then
Google's Chrome went and got an update to that protocol so it's now
broken as I've not had the chance to update it yet.

The idea is to create something similar to a mud, but is presented in
a web browser and can make use of the additional interface features
available.  It very much changes the way you look at what you can do
with such a system and opens up a whole new world of options.

Of course, my complete inability to make something look nice in a web
browser is a bit of a hindrance ;)  Still, I've managed to do pretty
well using JQuery.  As for the telnet port, it's still available as a
backup for when I screw things up, or when Chrome is updated but has
no long term use.

My library is currently based off the Kernel library, so I'm curious
about how you intend to approach resource management in a manner that
is more appropriate for use with Hydra?

Neil.