[DGD] swapout tuning

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Aug 24 22:57:29 CEST 2011

Shentino <shentino at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been mulling over making some fine tuning to how dgd manages object
> swapping.  It's in the experimental stage at the moment on a private branch.
>[...]

None of this matters unless swapin and swapout rates are materially
affected.  What I mean is that your goals don't contradict those that
the swap_fragment setup aims for; you might end up with something that
works better than swap_fragment x, but happens to be quite close to
swap_fragment y.

Working set size will vary during the day for a running mud.  Unless your
notion of working set is sufficiently flexible, you could end up with
something that has worse performance (cache_size in DGD has very little
to do with the size of the working set).

The biggest drawback of swap_fragment is that the way it relates to the
swap rate is unintuitive.  Making something that is easier to understand
and manage should be your primary design goal.

Regards,
Felix Croes