[DGD] function pointers

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 06:02:36 CEST 2011

I agree that function pointers, as presently implemented, are syntactic
sugar.

When taking full fledged closures into account, however, I am less certain.

There was a length discussion on the issue but I was too high on caffeine
and sleep deprived to remember any of the bigger points.

What can you functionally do with a closure that you cannot do with an ({
obj, funcname }) pair?

Even Skotos manages to use Merry as a sort of code-as-data abstraction,
which in my mind further weakens the case for closures.

FluffOS compatibility remains IMHO the strongest actual justification.