[DGD] Using r-trees to subdivide a world

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:41:57 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Jared Maddox <absinthdraco at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 22:46:02 -0700
>> From: Shentino <shentino at gmail.com>
>> To: All about DGD and Hydra <dgd at dworkin.nl>
>> Subject: Re: [DGD] Using r-trees to subdivide a world
>>
>> So yeah, good ideas, they've helped me decide on stuff.
>>
>> I just couldn't really have anything but official, in-game logic
>> dictate the boundaries of a non rtree type node.
>>
>> I'm assuming this makes sense to you?
>>

> Yeah, I probably wouldn't use strict r-trees either, though I'd
> normally advise mentioning restrictions earlier than this ;) .

In my naivety (sp?) I assumed it was common sense, since internal
optimizations can't really take the place of a treaty.

> I do still recommend using something inspired by kd-trees for the
> internal sorting instead of something based on r-trees, for the
> reasons I've already mentioned. If you're using DGD or another LPC
> driver (that is why you're talking about it here, right? ;) ) then you
> should be able to implement one with mappings (I'd normally stick
> everything into it's own node of the tree, object-counts-be-damned,
> but in your case a wrapper so that you can use 'layered' mappings that
> can be paged would probably be better).

Indeed.  The "r-tree" was just a placeholder for 'whatever data
structure works best"

I probably would have to split nodes up if they got too big
internally.  This is also to prevent slowdowns when DGD's garbage
collector tries to digest it.

> Out of curiosity, what's the interface intended to be like? Is this
> going to be text-based, web-page-based, gui+command-prompt-based, or
> conventional-gui-based?

All of the above, at the same time.

Skotos inspired me here to have the interfacing and the game logic separated.

There will obviously be one interface, text, which will handle the
minutae of telnet protocols, color setting, window management, and so
on.

Meanwhile, I plan to leave the door open for a quake type interface
that can show pixels, polygons, and textures as the case may warrant.