[DGD] Best method to make a wilderness map

Kris Van Hees aedil at alchar.org
Sun Feb 19 02:38:34 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 05:22:35PM -0800, Shentino wrote:
> DGD's memory usage model is quite elastic.
                                    ^^^^^^^
Can you explain what you mean by that?  To my experience, most people
in CS would not describe it as elastic, but rather well optimised
towards operating with a deterministic memory footprint, i.e. able to
work well with predefined limits on memory usage.  It is also one of
my favourite features in DGD: it makes good use of the resources it has
been given.

> Swapping is done proportional to the number of active objects in
> memory, and will swap twice as fast with twice as many objects
> resident.
>
> What WILL slow you down in a heartbeat is if you're using so much
> memory the OS starts stepping in with paging.
                                        ^^^^^^
I assume you mean 'swapping' here on the side of the OS?

	Kris