[DGD] player economies: npc clients

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 18:33:17 CEST 2012

> I guess what I'm having trouble understanding here is why having
> consumers (NPC or otherwise) effectively set prices based on their
> personal budgets qualifies as an actual problem.

I said that you had to worry about the difficulties in "just" implementing perfect economists.

You said you hadn't even considered NPC *vendors*, only NPC consumers, and so you didn't have to set consumer maximum price (derived from consumer utility).

I said you were already setting price, and gave this (and the semi-elastic demand examples) as ways in which consumers always set price and you can't actually get around that.  You can do it stupidly, but you can't not do it.

Yes?

You are claiming that demand is 100% inelastic and set by humans, so you never have to be intelligent about setting consumer utility -- you believe consumer utility is effectively infinite here.  I am giving a number of reasons why, with intelligent agents in place of the NPCs, you would be wrong.

You could implement NPCs that way, but then they won't behave like intelligent agents (i.e. humans) in interesting situations (e.g. cartels, shortages) which players will have a very, very strong impetus to create because you are handing them a highly-exploitable situation.