[DGD] just out of curiosity

Schmidt, Stephen schmidsj at union.edu
Tue Sep 11 19:02:39 CEST 2012

I have a sense that there's a conflict between this vision of a large
distributed system, and the vision of community-based creation, as
Ragner mentioned earlier. Effective communities don't scale well,
which is why LPMuds (my experience anyway) rarely went much
over a few hundred regular users, usually less. Also, communities
have to get started, so it has to be relatively easy for someone to
open a new site out of the box. People who can set up and run a
large distributed system are few and far between. If it's easy enough
to open a site that lots of people can do it, then you're going to have
a lot of sites to choose from and few of them will need more computing
power than a single machine can provide.

There was an attempt in the Olde Days to split the difference, and have
a lot of small locally-run sites that were interconnected in various ways.
But if you wanted the interconnection to be more meaningful than
being able to text-message someone on another mud, then you have
to ensure some basic compatibilities between the systems, and that's
not consistent with each community developing in its own direction.
Let alone the problems of maintaining partitioning when each site is
being independently run.

To some extent, I think we might be better off trying to get to a system
where it wouldn't take too much skill to open a simple site, and work on
having lots of small sites with close-knit groups developing in their own
ways. I see that as more attractive than going the MMP route where it's
harder for any one individual to influence the development of the
community much.

Steve