[DGD] just out of curiosity

Ragnar Lonn prl at gatorhole.se
Tue Sep 11 19:45:54 CEST 2012

Thanks, and you're right that I need to read more. So far I've only
covered one book on distributed systems (and it usually takes me more
than one read for things to stick), but I have this suspicion that half
the battle lies in properly identifying the problem and, like you write,
figuring out which compromises can be made. If you make the right
compromises regarding reliability, performance, scalability, consistency
you can vastly simplify implementation. Or that is my belief/hope
anyway. (belief and hope are one and the same to an entrepreneur).

Just look at Second life - they made some pretty huge compromises when
they designed their system. They basically have a sharded system where a
physical server handles a certain amount of geographical terrain. If the
server goes down, that area in 2nd life just disappears while the server
is offline. Movable objects (like players) are transferred between
servers as they move. Maybe this is an acceptable level of availability
(although their performance is not good enough when objects are migrated
between servers). Some parts of the world will be down at any one time.
The actual requirements of an online world might not be so bad, and many
limiting factors can be worked around through smart content creation
(i.e. create content that is suitable for the platform. Set rules for
content that *makes* it suit the platform).

As for me, I'm just trying to figure out a viable path. If and when I
find it, I'm not going to write the code because the past ten years or
so I've finally understood that there is an inverse relation between the
amount of code I check in, and the quality of the code in our software
repository...  So maybe I don't need to know *exactly* how to do it,
just have an overall idea and be fairly sure it *can* be done. That's
why I'm asking you here - some of you have already thought about these
things for a while, and know much more about distributed systems than I do.

   /Ragnar