[DGD] just out of curiosity

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Fri Sep 14 15:34:33 CEST 2012

Ragnar Lonn <prl at gatorhole.se> wrote:

>[...]
> I'm a little bit skeptical about the feasibility to make existing
> MUDs/mudlibs "evolve" into graphical ones. I think that any MUD/mudlib
> that gets graphics added to it at a later stage, will have text and
> graphics that are mismatched. The whole thing will look awkward. To get
> a really good graphical MMO, you have to think about the graphics from
> day 1, not when you already have a system with functionality and
> processes that are all about text content.

I meant the evolution of the mud community, rather than individual muds.
Once one text mud starts with a javascript client, others could pick it
up and start to improve it.

> If you're aiming for the cloud, wouldn't automatic state distribution
> across the network be the absolute killer feature for DGD?
> (One can always try...)

Efficient automatic state distribution for a mud is a hard, unsolved
problem.  I may not be smart enough to solve it, but if it can be done,
it can be done in LPC.

As for killer features, making Hydra took me 10 years.  DGD cannot
survive as a text mud server for another 10 years (or however long it
would take me to properly solve the distributed mud problem).

Regards,
Felix Croes