[DGD] moving the main repository to Github

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sun Sep 16 13:00:10 CEST 2012

When I released DGD as open source in February 2010, I hoped to turn
over DGD development to others, while I would concentrate my efforts
on Hydra.  To this end, I set up a project on Sourceforge that others
could join, gave project leadership to Bart van Leeuwen, and reduced
my own authority over the direction of future development to the
baseline branch.

Things have worked out differently.  I am the only one still active
in the Sourceforge project, and the sole other still contributing
does so on Github.  Github is such a good place to host code that I
have long maintained a mirror of the DGD git repository there, as well.
For the last year, every patch contributed to DGD was contributed
through Github.

Now Sourceforge is working on a new way to host projects, called
Allura.  Allura presents a new interface for projects, supports
only a limited number of add-on features, and requires you to
change the address of the repository.  I have converted a minor
project to Allura, and I am sad to say that it does not inspire
confidence.

So rather than suffer the conversion to what could best be described
as a poor man's Github clone, I have decided to make Github the primary
host of the DGD repository.  The new home page for the repository is:

    https://github.com/dworkin/dgd

Github makes contributing informally to projects much easier.  Fork the
DGD repository on Github, push your changes, and I can easily spot them
on the network page <https://github.com/dgd/network> and incorporate
what I find useful.  You can also submit formal requests that I pull
from your fork, all without ever requiring you to join a project group.

I will continue to update the old repository on Sourceforge for point
releases, until Allura comes into effect.  I am grateful to Sourceforge
for hosting DGD in the past 2.5 years.

Regards,
Felix Croes