[DGD] DGD

Blain blain20 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 14:37:16 CEST 2013

Thanks, Felix.

I'm currently trying to install everything I need to compile DGD on my
Droid tablet.  So far I've paid for "c4droid" and installed the GCC addon.
I had to force HOST=DARWIN (My OS string is undefined because the uname
command is missing or otherwise inaccessible).  Then it barfs trying to
find yacc.  I've searched Google Play for yacc or bison, but to no avail.
I e-mailed the author of c4droid to see if he had any knowkedge of there
being a droid-compatible yacc/bison.  If I get this thing working, I will
e-mail the list of the steps I took to get DGD on the Droid OS and I'll
also recommend some programs for coding on the tablet below.

I use DroidEdit for coding.  It has some quirks, but is otherwise quite
useful (and free).  My main issue with it is that is has no long-line
indication or column count.  I've mostly just been free-form writing my
code, and when I need to enforce 80 cols, I write a 79-column line of
dashes.  There is also a quirk with search'n'replace if you have certain
characters in your search pattern (e.g. parens, brackets).  It has syntax
highlighting, which actually bogs it down when opening large files, to
include the driver and auto source files.  Also, it doesn't handle tabs
correctly, despite having options on how you want the program to handle
them.  It's not too terribly difficult to get used to the program, though.
I'll be e-mailing the author (who is active) with some notes.

For grepping files, I use both DroidGrep and aGrep,  DroidGrep was
installed by DroidEdit because it can outsource grepping to it.  I already
had installed aGrep myself.  Both programs work fine and I recommend either.

I have Busybox (for unrooted systems) with Terminal Emulator.  I use this
for shell grepping and other usual shell tasks.

All in all, this setup is not too bad for writing a mudlib.  Once I get DGD
compiled and running, the usefulness of this Droid tablet will be complete
for my purposes.  I don't think I could've done much coding on my little
Droid phone!  The keyboard on this tablet causes me to make a lot of typos
and not notice, though.  But I can't complain too much:  I'd be hella bored
if I couldn't occupy myself with writing a mudlib with all this downtime
I've got.