[DGD] DGD

Blain blain20 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 14:04:09 CEST 2013

On Apr 17, 2013 11:35 AM, "Raymond Jennings" <shentino at gmail.com> wrote:

> I find it interesting that you are attempting to run DGD on an android
> device, considering that it's a server program.

Android OS is basically Linux.  There are s large number of servers
programs available for it, including httpd, ftpd, and sshd, just for a
couple examples.  There does seem to be some layer of Java involved, which
the NDK is supposed to help you bridge between C/C++ and the Java, but I
think that's only for the GUI stuff.  I have a lot of learning to do.

> Self experimentation is good and all and it's a wonderful way to build and
> experiment but have you looked into how people might connect to it to
play?

While it's not hard to let people log into it, I wouldn't advise opening it
to the public.  Droids like to swap a lot to save battery, even if plugged
in.  I just wanted to compile DGD on thr Droid because I can test new lib
changes without breaking out my laptop (which is now fixed).

> Then again if you can get it running on android I might consider it a step
> closer to getting it on the Ouya after it comes out.

I just have to figure out all the permissions stuff,  The Android security
system is almost as tough as Fort Knox.  Rooting these devices csn
sometimes involved overwhelming the internal firewall with thousands of
"gremlin" packets.  Kamikazeeeeeee!""

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Blain <blain20 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Oh vey!  Getting anything to compile with c4droid ended up being
> > impossible for me with my limited knowledge.  I ended up rooting the
> > tablet after I managed to get my laptop to stay alive without
> > BSOD'ing.  Even after that I couldn't compile anything, but I'll keep
> > trying.  I think it has a lot to do with what directory I do things
> > in.  When I tried compiling the parser directory alone, it gave an
> > error "Failed to copy file", and I'm not sure why.  c4droid had write
> > perms to the dir there and the dir above.  Either way, rooting may
> > help or it may just not be doable, or perhaps I'll have to try the
> > Android SDK and NDK from my laptop now that it seems to be working.
> > So, for now, I'm on my laptop debugging the mudlib code I've written
> > so far, which makes me happy enough for the time being (until my HDD
> > crashes again).  Also, trying to compile Bison required 'configure' to
> > be run, which ended up being impossible as well.  It complained of
> > needing sed and expr.  Sed, at least, is on the system now that I
> > rooted it, but I'll mess around with the pathing to see what's going
> > on there.  This is all a pain in the backside, but hopefully I can
> > tinker with it and come up with some sort of step-by-step explanation
> > for other users.
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Felix A. Croes <felix at dworkin.nl>
wrote:

> > addon.