[DGD] Game Design: Character Names

Jared Maddox absinthdraco at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 19:12:48 CEST 2013

> Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 23:38:58 +0700
> From: Blain <blain20 at gmail.com>
> To: All about DGD and Hydra <dgd at dworkin.nl>
> Subject: [DGD] Game Design: Character Names
>

> One method of handling this would be to identity a given character by an
> internal 'system_identity', which is comprised of "name!account", where
> account is the player's e-mail address or a custom login id which can
> include numbers and must be unique.  The player's entire account would be
> stored under a directory named for this account id, be it a userid or
> e-mail.  I think I prefer using a userid so that a player can change e-mail
> addresses at will without my lib having to rename the directory as often.

Another factor in favor of a userid instead of an email is that if you
ever provide a web interface to user mailboxes or something, then you
could use the same login system as for actual play, or you could
provide a login connection for OAuth or OpenID so that someone could
be automatically logged in if, for example, they're connected to
Twitter.

And from the perspective of your system it would all be the same,
because all that it was doing in the first place was checking to see
if the web browser should be associated with a user account.