[DGD] DGD For MSys, mark 2

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue Jan 8 14:44:22 CET 2013

Jared Maddox <absinthdraco at gmail.com> wrote:

>[...]
> MSys defines it inside the windef.h file. It defines the version with
> a leading underscore in the same place. Could you check to see if
> Visual Studio does the same?

You are right, WIN32 is defined in windef.h, but the WIN32 macro is
needed to select the platform in dgd/src/host.h before the inclusion
of any standard include file.  When compiling with Visual Studio,
WIN32 has to be defined in the project file (equivalent to makefile)
for that reason.

>[...]
> As for the OS detection code, it was specifically returning the
> specific version of Windows that I run (XP). Suffice to say, that's a
> bit more platform-specific than I was looking at. At the same time, I
> wanted to print an informative error message if someone tried to use a
> mingw/msys make from the Windows command line, since uname is almost
> universally not available on Windows.

Isn't uname included with msys?

>[...]
> >> Should the "HOST_OVERRIDE" switch be enough for any other *nix-ish
> >> platforms on Windows?
> >
> > Due to the automatic import of environment variables into GNU Make,
> > depending on a predefined symbol is a bad idea.
> >

> I'm challenged to think of another way to do it, though (thinking
> about it, I should at least name it DGD_TARGETHOST). Do you know of
> any better methods?

If I wanted to get this to work on other pseudo-unix platforms, I would
either try to detect those platforms, or make it easy to add them later.
HOST_OVERRIDE is just a messy shortcut.

>[...]
> Nope, same problem. On Firefox 17.0.1:
>
> Secure Connection Failed
> An error occurred during a connection to mail.dworkin.nl.
> Peer reports incompatible or unsupported protocol version.

Sounds like TLS support is not turned on in your browser (it's on the
preferences/advanced/encryption page).

Regards,
Felix Croes