[DGD] DGD For MSys, mark 2

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Thu Jan 24 12:38:32 CET 2013

Jared Maddox <absinthdraco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, setup on github.
>
> Repo link is: https://github.com/jam555/dgd.git
> Commit id appears to be: 855fla72db
> And the actual changes are in the msys branch.
>
> I haven't compiled this yet, so no pull request. Besides which, I
> don't know the normal protocol for that anyways, this is my first time
> using Git. I would, however, like a review.

You got it.

I reviewed the changes on github, using the following URL:

    https://github.com/jam555/dgd/compare/msys

- Review the changes yourself at this URL.  Do you see which ones don't
  change anything?  Do you see the bug you introduced with LIBS in the
  main Makefile?
  Tighten up the changes so you respect the existing layout and don't
  add pointless newlines.  Merge the bit after OS=$(shell uname -s)
  with the bit before it.
- While commentary is good, you go too far with your comments in the
  Makefile and the README.  Comments should describe the current state
  of the code, not the entire process of how that state was reached.
  Of course, I realize that you deliberately overdid it, but there is
  a place where you can expand in such detail, and where your name and
  the date will be automatically attached: in the git commit message.
- Most of the required LIBS will be linked in by default.  Is anything
  beyond  -lws2_32 really needed?
- Tighten up the changes to host/Makefile.  Use a macro for the source
  directory:

    connect.c: $(PLATFORM_DIR)/connect.c
	    cp $(PLATFORM_DIR)/$@ $@

  That way, the same rules can be used for unix and win32.

Regards,
Felix Croes