[DGD] DGD For MSys, mark 2

Jared Maddox absinthdraco at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 12:42:15 CET 2013

I haven't updated to your latest commit. I'll hopefully get to it by
Tuesday, though no guarantee.

> Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 13:19:02 +0100
> From: "Felix A. Croes" <felix at dworkin.nl>
> To: dgd at dworkin.nl
> Subject: Re: [DGD] DGD For MSys, mark 2
>
> I've chosen to push my changes to your changes to the msys branch of
> the official repository.  You can read my commentary in the commit
> message.

Hmm, I do seem to be forgetting to look at the dates inside files,
recently. I'm going to have to check through some of my own projects,
because I KNOW that I have the wrong year in at least some.

Are you sure that LIBS=-ldl is correct for Windows? I haven't tried
your latest commit yet, so I can't say for certain myself.

In my defense, I was about to go to bed when I added PLATFORM_DIR to
host/Makefile . Failures to make obvious extrapolations do sometimes
happen :p .

> Jared Maddox <absinthdraco at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>[...]
>> What about the comment above ifeq ($(OS),Windows_NT) ? I worry that
>> without it, the reason for putting that in such an inconsistent place
>> may be forgotten.
>
> You are right, it would be good to have a brief comment about the location
> in the Makefile.

Done (well, in my non-current copy), though it would be good to get
some editing on the actual message. It's wordy, and I worry about the
tone.

> What remains to be done:
>
>  - fix the issue where make clean doesn't clean

If only I knew why it happens! I'm going to have to do a bit of
detective work before I can fix this. Though maybe your move of
OBJ/SUBOBJ will have fixed it (I don't know what it didn't clean right
anyways, so...).

Though from the fact that Shentino is having problems too, I feel
comfortable saying "building software is such a touchy business".

>  - get precompiling to work (involves changing comp/Makefile and
>    lpc/Makefile)

That's one more makefile than I remembered, but as I best recall the
needed changes are pretty minor (mostly a unixism that doesn't play
nicely on Windows). If I can't figure out the make clean problem
quickly then I may deal with this one first.

> A related issue that you may also want to tackle: a.exe is a poor name
> for the executable on Windows, and a.out is gradually becoming a poor
> name on unix (few remember or care that it's the default linker output).
> It would be a good idea to change the default binary to dgd on unix, and
> dgd.exe on Windows.

Done, though for a few minutes I had it saved as dgd.out (oops).