[DGD] objregwatch flagged

Raymond Jennings shentino at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 05:27:37 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Noah Gibbs <noah_gibbs at yahoo.com> wrote:

> He's right on standard etiquette.  Similarly, you asking Felix for advice
> isn't a problem, but it's useful to make it clear that you're asking for
> advice,

seeking advice on what is normal with the klib was indeed my intention.  I
also figured felix was the best one to ask because most of the code is
still his work.  Any deviation from normal would be a bug to chase down.

incidentally, at first I thought this might be to my 128 byte sector
experiment.  I had a similiar crash from that, and put it back to 512.
 However, this one happened on 512 byte sectors and after a cold boot
starting with 512, so the root cause isn't as obvious.

At any rate, based on the klib's code and the fact that nothing outside the
klib is even allowed to tamper with objregd's information, I'm convinced
that there is a bug.  The code seems solid, the objreg linking is guarded
by infinite rlimits which is usually a good sign of "must not fail".  The
fact that the klib does not provide a method to hotfix a broken list is
also hintful.

I'd like to thank everyone for teaching me something about etiqueete that I
was unaware of.  Social experienc eis hard to come by for me, sadly :<

approximately as a favor, rather than him being normally expected to do