[DGD] kotaka: new feature: object catalog

Raymond Jennings shentino at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 06:26:29 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Kris Van Hees <aedil at alchar.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:07:38PM -0700, Raymond Jennings wrote:
> <<skip>>
>> > Now maybe someone can take
>> > the extra step and truly implement arbitrary naming of objects as I did back
>> > in the mid-90s, with support for e.g. inherit <id> rather than inherit <path>.
>> > With the much improved DGD that we have now that should be quite a bit easier
>> > than it used to be.
>>
>> It would probably require runtime interpretation of inherit directives.
>>
>> The kernel library presently does not allow this as far as I know.  If
>> anyone knows different, correct me.
>
> Back in the mid 90s it involved a fairly small patch, essentially adding in a
> syntax construct in the grammar to allow an object to identify itself under an
> arbitrary name, and adding driver object calls to (1) alert the library that a
> newly compiled object is to be known henceforth as <id>, and (2) to allow the
> library to provide the object that corresponds to a given arbitrary name.

The namespace is more intended to accomodate clones and stuff but I
suppose it could work for blueprints and libraries.

Except that libraries under the klib are mandatory opaque and cannot
be handled with references.

> The same work also introduced a concept of singleton classes (named entities),
> that could only be loaded as a single instance.  I.e. it was not possible to
> clone from these objects nor was it possible to inherit from them (in a later
> version, I allowed inheritance if the inheritant was an entity also).

May I assume you're talking about code inheritance that is handled by
driver->inherit_object ?

> Ah, the good ol' days :)

Don't let me give you a wrench for my mud O_O

Anyway if you could take a look at the code on github and provide some
feedback I'd appreciate it.