[DGD] lpc-docs submodule

Gary Preston gary at mups.co.uk
Fri May 31 00:11:22 CEST 2013

On 30 May 2013, at 22:01, Felix A. Croes <felix at dworkin.nl> wrote:

> I like lpc-doc as a submodule because it has a different license.
> There is nothing to stop <you> from having it as a subtree.
>
> Regards,
> Felix Croes

Yes, I'm aware I can set it up as a subtree. I considered updating my repo after realising DGD used a submodule for the docs.

However,  it would mean if you make changes to the docs that are related to a specific DGD commit, even though I use a subtree, the relationship wouldn't be there unless I manually tally up commit log messages between DGD and lpc-docs and pulled specific revisions/commit. Rather than just pulling in all your changes and merging.

It's more work than subtrees would be, where I can just checkout vendor-dgd, pull, then switch back to develop and merge. Any doc updates that are related to specific dgd commits would remain related without any extra work.

That's really what prompted my query on subtrees, since if there was no compelling reason to stick with submodules there'd be benefits to the main repo using subtrees over and above any gains I'd have by using them locally. However, as you mentioned a split due to different licensing that's fair enough and makes sense.

Cheers,

Gary