[DGD] Managing a persistent mud.

Gary gary at mups.co.uk
Sat Aug 29 15:03:39 CEST 2015

Hey All,

I've been reading about persistent muds and DGD/kernel lib support for
this and it raised a question of how code is managed in such a mud. Not
in regard to recompiling objects in DGD, that's reasonably clear from
the docs and support the kernel lib provides. I mean managing the code
from an editing and upload perspective.

For most projects I'd edit locally and then push to a git repo for other
team members then at various milestone points a build would be made and
deployed. For a persistent mud this might simply mean sync'ing over the
new code changes (perhaps deploying via a git pull or applying patches
to the live server code) and then logging into the server to run a full
recompile/upgrade.

If the mud however also allows for guest builders who can add/edit code
within their own zones live via either OLC or something akin to an SFTP
upload to directories they have write access, the git approach starts to
feel a little iffy although perhaps still workable.

Do any of you know how persistent muds have handled this or had any
experience with various deployment methods yourself? What pros/cons did
your approach have?

On another note, did the Skotos code base ever see the light of day?

Regards,

Gary