[DGD] jit for 2.1 vm

Carter Cheng cartercheng at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 23:44:33 CET 2015

I am a bit curious as to how the jit is intended to function and to what
extent it will map instructions into machine code and when it will use
function calls and the virtual machine in memory argument stacks.

I have examined only two jit's and not completely as of yet (v8 and the
llvm jvm jit) so I am not entirely sure how they cope with this issue in
detail but it seems that most of them map if possible data values into
registers rather than using the cache to hold values in a stack. This would
seem in particular to be the canonical strategy for handling this in llvm
since it uses single static assignment form natively.

>From the description I am getting will the jit for 2.1 use the existing
stack pointer?

Regards,

Silenus