[DGD] How to make a Java applet modify a web page

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Mon Feb 16 09:48:18 CET 2015

Not to mention, finding the right java
version clientside has become quite a
hassle, so you'd have to write something
that works with a bunch of different and
subtly incompatible java versions. Also,
clientside java is a pain in resource use
and can be a real pita on many popular
mobile platforms. Serverside it is a very
powerful tool but clientside java is dying
a slow but well deserved death, and if you
xan avoid postponing that death you will be
doing yourself and your users a favor.

Bart

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 19:39:35 -0600, Jared
Maddox wrote
<shentino at gmail.com>
<dgd at dworkin.nl>
> > Subject: Re: [DGD] How to make a Java
applet modify a web page
H-M9pEe_A at mail.gmail.com>

> > Just did some research to find out what
websockets actually are.

> > Are they pervasive enough that I can
safely assume user's browsers will
> > support them?
> >

> Depends on what you're willing to NOT
support. Certain minor browsers
> still don't support Javascript.
Regardless, I'd advise sticking to
> the
HTML/CSS/Javasript(WebSockets/AJAX/Comet)
approach. If you can support
> all three of those then you should be
covered (disclaimer: I would
> use Comet as little as possible, and most
likely only in whatever
> "client-boot" code you may require).
>
> WebSockets and AJAX should probably be
considered alternatives to
> each other. Involving Java seems to me to
be patently unnecessary
> (especially since you might be able to
run multiple AJAX requests at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrobjective/