[DGD] task rollback and random() bias

Raymond Jennings shentino at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 01:39:39 CEST 2015

Just got to thinking about this...

In Hydra, if you have a task rescheduled AFTER it has accessed random(),
could that bias the RNG if certain values of random() at that spot made the
task less or more prone to being rescheduled?

Suppose that 1 causes the task to touch 100 objects, whereas 2 might cause
it to touch only 10, and 3 would cause it not to touch any.

Even if you use a random(3) + 1, aren't 1's less likely to appear given
that they make tasks more susceptible to rollback?

Just something I thought of in one of my sleep deprived stupors.