[DGD] Primary vs secondary snapshot

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue Nov 10 22:46:05 CET 2015

Raymond Jennings <shentino at gmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed that during creation of an incremental snapshot, the full
> snapshot is moved to blah.old, and the swapfile is moved to blah and
> further swapping goes to blah as the incremental snapshot, while the full
> snapshot remains at blah.old
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Second question:
>
> If so, is there any way to distinguish a full blah and a stale blah.old
> from a full blah.old and an incremental blah without having the mudlib
> posting a file somewhere for external scripts to read?

Correct, and the only way to tell is to start DGD with the latest
snapshot.  If it's incomplete and the old snapshot is also needed, DGD
will tell you.

It's a good idea to keep around the latest full snapshot for backup
purposes.  It is also a good idea not to create too many incremental
snapshots, as they tend to bloat the snapshot size.

Regards,
Felix Croes