[DGD] DGD 1.5.3 and Hydra 1.3

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sat Aug 20 22:02:53 CEST 2016

bart at wotf.org wrote:

> Thanks, I should at some point take a look at hydra again, wondering how it
> would do with my current codebase.

Perhaps maybe taking a look at Hydra in the future pretty much comprises
the uptake I've seen of Hydra in the mud community :)  But to be honest,
to take full advantage you have to design for it from the bottom up, and
even the kernel library is not sufficient.

> At any rate, it seems kf_read_file (in src/kfun/file.cpp) is using ALLOCA, and
> hence may crash dgd when configured with a larger string size and trying to
> read a large file.
>
> A solution similar to kf_restore_object seems like a good idea to me.

I have followed your suggestion, but it's time to start weaning yourself
away from strings longer than 64K.  Take a look at /lib/String in the
cloud library to see in which direction I think you should be moving.

Regards,
Felix Croes