[DGD] capability based security?

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Wed Mar 16 18:01:33 CET 2016

A few comments on this:
- you can't protect against stupidity but
for any security system a fail-safe approach
should be used, put differently, doing
dangerous things should take enough work to
not just happen by accident. The very large
majority of security issues are a result of
this not being done properly by many
security systems.

- doing all security checks in the wiztool,
I'd rather think a security check should be
done as close to the resource needing
protection to ensure as few ways to bypass
those checks as possible.

- having the object to which a capability is
given registered on the 'badge' and hence
requiring a formal interface to pass on a
capability seems akin to putting a name and
picture (and nowadays biometric info) on a
badge, and seems a really good idea if the
purpose is to verify the holder of the
badge.

This can be done with a kernel service but
if the data is centralized this has a
potential of not playing well with hydra.

Bart

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 01:08:39 -0500, Jared
Maddox wrote
<shentino at gmail.com>
<dgd at dworkin.nl>
> > Subject: Re: [DGD] capability based
security?
tTZNC1S8krKZj5VJq0A at mail.gmail.com>

> > I figured that the construction,
configuration, and destruction of
> > capabilities and their handles would be
the perview of trusted code (like a
> > microkernel) and then its at the
discretion of the code taking the caps on
> > what they do with the actual
handles...and that if they screw it up its
> > their own fault.
> >
> > Is it valid to say "I guarantee the
security that nobody will be able to
> > use this capability unless you let them,
but if you give it away you're on
> > your own"?
> >

> "I guarantee security against all but your
own stupidity"? I think
> that sort of thing works it's way into
most user agreements.

> > Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 22:31:13 +0100
> > From: bart at wotf.org
> > To: All about DGD and Hydra
<dgd at dworkin.nl>
> > Subject: Re: [DGD] capability based
security?

> > It depends. If something wants to check
if your object has a certain
> > capability, and you present it your
badge, itstrivial for the code checking it
> > to clone it and reuse it, unless you
actively prevent that. What I mentioned
> > may be a way, registering in the handle
which object it was given to.

> This could be tended to with a kernel
service instead.

> Beyond that, if most or all code can
create capability objects to
> represent whatever capabilities it has,
then objects can use it to

<shentino at gmail.com>
> > To: All about DGD and Hydra
<dgd at dworkin.nl>
> > Subject: Re: [DGD] capability based
security?

> > ooh...good point
> >
> > capabilities will probably need their
own ACLs that can be manipulated by
> > the objects thereon.
> >

> I think capabilities should ideally be
carried around inside wiztools
> & such: if a security check needs to be
done, the wiztool can do it
> transparently.
>
> If arbitrary pieces of code can create the
wiztools, then they can
> also strengthen the security of the
wiztool.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrobjective/