[DGD] capability based security?

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Wed Mar 23 18:10:23 CET 2016

That is a good general definition for
subjects in this context, the difference I
pointed out is based on what kind of
subjects make sense for permission versus
capability based systems.

A traditional permissions based system
requires subjects to be users or represent
users. A capability based system can be
based on those but doesn't have to. In a
permission based system you run a process in
the name of a user (principal) whereas in a
capability system you give a token to said
process. That can be based on the user for
whom this is running but doesn't have to.

A practical examples:

Lets assume we have some program which
requirrs access to a specific file.
- permission based: you grant permission to
said file to the user under whoms identity
the program has to run. Consequently, every
process running for this user can access the
file.
- capability based: you grant the capability
to the specific process. This may but does
not have to be related to the user under
whoms identity this runs. Consequently only
this process gets the access.

First of all, capability based means you
have something based on least privileges,
and second, it is based on what needs to be
done. You lose both attributes at least
partially as soon as you regard users as
subjects in a capability based system.

Bottomline, you indeed have subjects on one
axis regardless of what system you
implement, but a capability based system can
have subjects which don't work for a
permission based system, whereas a
permission based system requires subjects
which are limiting for a capability based
one.

And as a consequence, the actual matrices
for permission and capability based systems
should differ in what is on the subject axis
besides which axis is used for slicing it.

Actually proving a security system requires
an implementation, so it is a bit surprising
this isn't really part of such papers. How
can one design and implement a security
system without demonstrating how it results
in a safe state?

Bart

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 23:49:06 +0800, Carter
Cheng wrote
> Actually based on the general literature I
have always viewed
> subjects as any entity about which one
wants to know whether it can
> be granted access or not to a given x via
a security matrix lookup.
> This is kind of what I meant by the
definition. I.e. it could be a
> set of almost anything that you want to
make this query about.

> I think for the papers in the areas of
capabilities and permissions there
> tend to be very few actual serious proofs
in the papers I've encounter.
> They mainly describe the implementation
details of the specific realisation
> of the basic principles.
>
> As this paper mentions-

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/downloa
d?doi=10.1.1.112.8296&rep=rep1&type=pdf

<http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/downlo
ad?doi=10.1.1.112.8296&rep=rep1&type=pdf>

> The problem of administration is a
fundamental problem with practical
> capability systems- I am not sure how
practical they really are
> since they don't have much of a great
presence outside the research
> setting. The burden placed on a mud admin
might be quite great given
> that many of the ones I have known aren't
necessarily that

<bart at wotf.org> wrote:

> > Well, Shentino is trying to build a
> > practical system, and I am looking at
actual
> > implementations that have seen use in
the
> > real world outside a pure research env.
> >
> > The definition of subject is highly
relevant
> > for proving the security of a system,
even
> > more so within the context of an lpc
> > environment which has no concept of
process,
> > but in case of dgd can offer persistent
> > subjects which are not based on a
principal.

> > Because the things you can prove about a
> > capability based system strongly depend
on
> > how you define those subjects, its
certainly
> > much more then the implementation choice
you
> > suggest.
> >
> > This is also documented in various
papers
> > and for example one of the fundamental
> > considerations behind eros.
> >
> > Bart
> >
> > On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 17:01:39 +0800,
Carter
> > Cheng wrote
> > > I actually was just quoting a textbook
> > description by I believe Tanenbaum.
> > > I suspect that what is defined as a
> > subject is an issue of implementation
> > > rather than theory. Whether the
subject is
> > a process itself or an
> > > individual user is mainly a matter of
> > definition from a theoretical
> > > perspective since the matrix is
> > fundamental to descriptions of security
> > > even in the research literature. From
this
> > perspective the smallest element
> > > typically is similar to what raymond
is
> > describing which is kind of the
> > > associate action that can be taken S x
R x
> > A matrix. In the case of the
> > > implementation of the security matrix
> > sort of agree. However if
> > > you look at some capability based
research
> > systems a fundamental
> > > element most such systems is transfer
of
> > the socalled key.
> > > Revocation is known to be problematic
in
> > capability based systems
> > > but not impossible. For many
> > implementations it is however quite
> > > difficult given how the key is
> > represented.

> > number of such elements is quite
> > > large. So the data denoting the
various
> > "keys" can be difficult to manage.
> > > I think from a practical standpoint in
> > dgd based system one has to
> > > decide
> > > (practical issue) what the subjects
are
> > and how to cope with revocation
> > > under transfer. My sense is ideally it
> > should be closed under a kind
> > > of transfer operator in a transitive
> > manner i.e. if A gives a copy
> > > of a key to B and B then gives a copy
of
> > the key transferred in this
> > > manner to C. If A subsequently revokes
B's
> > key C should be revoked
> > > as well unless it was transferred to C
by
> > some other source as well.
> > > This kind of management might require
> > somewhat complex book keeping
> > > however and also might have unforeseen
> > consequences when one isn't
> > > exactly sure of the history of
transfers
> > when doing a revocation.
> > >
> > > There are probably a number of
research
> > papers describing research systems
> > > out there that one could look at for
some
> > examples.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Silenus.

capabilities
> > are a way to grant a privilege to a
> > listing all allowed subjects on the
some
> > kind of token that can be verified by

forged
> > and can be verified reliably. Being
often
> > but not always part of this.

> > permission based systems and capability
> > requiring a subject for a privilege
whereas a
> > capability system does not, a
or
> > object, without any relation to a
approach
> > that capabilities and permissions
the
> > security matrix is at least
> > permission based system has subjects
based
> > capability based system shouldn't,
> > smallest entity in the system which
> > process, but this could be a single
> > function)

> > Raymond Jennings wrote

> > associated with a user) can possess a
execute, or
> > other such access) for object

> > capability Y and gives it to
> > authorization (presenting a password,
cases
> > picking up another capability),
capability
> > Y without further
or
> > more importantly, X can pass
and
> > Q can use that capability on

> > protects capability Y and only
that it
> > trusts.

the
> > capability may be arbitrarily
> > privileged process of some sort.

> > Carter Cheng

based
> > security some years ago and
them
> > for a modified version of the dead
never
> > quite finished it since I was
> > complexity of transmitting capabilities
such
> > transmission to limit the
> > understanding of the capabilties versus
> > represent different ways of cutting up
the
and
> > one horizontally). I am not sure
> > capability. My understanding is that in
most
these
> > are some sort of string denoting the
the
> > matrix and that transmission
> > into a new object. The problem I think
> > approach for copying a "portion" of the
portion
> > in order that less technically
mud
> > adminstrators and coders) would know
> > substring of the original string.
> > nowadays so I haven't tried finishing my
main
> > problem I was running into.

> > stupidity but
fail-