[DGD] API requirements for networking extensions

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Tue Apr 18 20:02:10 CEST 2017

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 09:18:54 -0700, Raymond Jennings wrote
> Actually I think I made a bit of a booboo here.
>
> I might have gotten your reference to the connect() system call in
> the OS confused with the connect() kfun provided by DGD to the lpc layer.
>
> *wears dunce cap*
>
> I still stand by what I said though about query_ip_port() being a clean
> idea that I personally think has merit even in the baseline code.
>
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 9:03 AM, Raymond Jennings
> <shentino at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just to be clear, I was talking about getting the remote port from *any*
> > connection, both ones created via connect() and ones received locally,
> > either by the driver from a port opened by configuration, or by a port
> > object that was opened.
> >
> > Basically, given the need for code unification, the solution I was hoping
> > for would be one that would be able to treat all connections the same way
> > no matter how they were established (whether outbound via connect(), or
> > inbound via the driver object or a port object).

No, I was referring to the connection() function called in the port object.

> > I think a query_ip_port(object conn) kfun would be a neat and tidy way to
> > get this information.
> >
> > To a lesser extent I also think that this information would be useful even
> > in vanilla dgd for the same reasons even if the network extensions were NOT
> > enabled.

Well, the network extensions already provide for this, and I would suggest not
changing that interface because it will make it difficult to migrate from the
current to new network extensions.

So, this would concern vanilla DGD only, through it of course should also be
usable with the network extensions enabled.

Bart
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrobjective/
http://www.om-d.org/