[DGD] Weird time deltas

Raymond Jennings shentino at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 09:32:56 CET 2017

I've got a tight thread running.

Every 1/20th or so of a second, it uses the kernel library's wiztool
to generate a status report, including resources and the status
command.

As a minor performance metric to track lag, I also keep track of the
exact time elapsed since the previous cycle was started, basically
motivated to see how "late" the report callout fired.

Oddly, instead of a buttery-smooth interval where the elapsed time is
reported pretty close to the requested delay, I'm getting mega
seriously weird millitime deltas that often appear to end in 5's, and
the digits look suspiciously like multiples of a negative power of
two.

I run gentoo linux on kernel 4.14, is this some sort of artifact of
the kernel or am I running some funky timer hardware or what?

I noticed that all the actually reported deltas have reciprocals of
16, 32, or 21.333333333