[DGD] Where did all the players go?

Dread Quixadhal quixadhal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 14:11:21 CET 2017

Does the DGD driver have command line arguments to hotboot a running instance of itself?

One very convenient way to package it for Linux systems would be to utilize their package manager’s pre and post-install scripts, so you could have it (optionally build and) install the new executable, and then run a command to force any running instances to hotboot themselves.

Obviously, a few details would have to worked out.  New config files would overwrite old ones, but this already happens with other system packages, and you’re usually asked if you want to keep the old one, the new one, or view a diff and possibly edit during the install.

I’ve never used Docker, but I guess it’s a viable solution as well, probably the best option for Windows users.

There’s also the possibility of releasing VM images, but that really is just a pre-packaging of the OS package manager solution, in something that’s already installed, but will still need to update itself.

I think any mudlib (except the kernel itself) would just need to be handled by the folks running their games… far too many variables to touch anything beyond the config file.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10