[DGD] Where did all the players go?

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Tue Dec 12 21:50:55 CET 2017

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 13:05:39 -0500, Schmidt, Stephen wrote
> Been a long time since I was thinking about this, but when I was, I was
> thinking in terms of resources - not the computational kind, but the
> economic kind. There's only so much iron in the game world, etc.
> What you can produce depends on how much iron you can access. If
> there are lots of swords lying around unused, tying up the world's
> iron, and if they can be "recycled" into other things, then players
> have an incentive to go find them and scavenge them for their own
> purposes. It allows players to have a role in the process, which
> becomes cyclical. Junk doesn't so much decay as it gets repurposed.

Resources are a good idea I think, but also can easily become a limit on how
many people can play the game, unless you actively tune the available
resources to that.

My take on this is to make the cycle much larger and include aquiring
resources from, and returning them to 'nature', but require effort for
aquiring resourcees from 'nature', which can be tuned to be more expensive
than reusing those you already havve or are lying around.

This allows for 'nature' to support a very large number of players without
having to fine-tune the resource pool, and hopefully with a limit on litter.
But the decay idea I was talking about isn't just about reducing litter, its
first of all intended as game element, as the game will allow players to build
things, but requires them to maintain the things they built. Its also a
mechanism for allowing a truely insanely large game world whiile putting some
limits on how much of it requires active tracking of its state and how much of
it can just be generated on the fly. When things stay forever, you'll
inevitably end up having to track state for every location in the world
including every object it might contain. The codebase I have now has no
trouble doing that for some 100m or so rooms, but it seems a needlessly
expensive way to go when most of those won't see another visitor, yet some
will and those should behave realistically in things staying around.

Bart

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrobjective/
http://www.om-d.org/