[DGD] Where did all the players go?

Blain blain20 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 10:37:12 CET 2017

I just don't agree that it requires a lot of hacks to convert private
variables, objects, and call_outs to a nested mapping of strings.  The lima
mudlib implanted something along these lines, though I never played the lib.

I'm not knocking out downplaying persistent mechanics.  DGD saves a lot of
trouble with its way of implementing it.

Still, my main gripe was about the idea of keeping the whole world in
RAM/swap and using OLC to author world items and rooms.  It's just not a
safe proposition in my opinion.  At least hanging a set of files which can
create a world with no snapshot should likely be the center of most game
designs, if not all. I fall to think of any game designs which don't need
to use the disk to give a game something to to back to in the event the
snapshots are lost or were wrong all along for some reason.