[DGD] Where did all the players go?

Raymond Jennings shentino at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 11:04:48 CET 2017

Right now, it turns out that Kotaka's priorities are shifting into
security and ban management code.

I've started noticing some alien IPs sending HTTP headers to my telnet
interface port...

...yes, that is a bit of a "wtf" moment.

As it is I only recently made "no contact with sitebanned IPs" a hard
policy for the mudlib, even going so far as to have BAND ask
SYSTEM_USERD to check all outstanding connections against the siteban
list, and if a match is found, kill that connection on the spot.

This is when I noticed in my logs that HTTP headers were getting sent
to my telnet port.

Besides allowign some protocol specific handling (delegated to the
manager of the port resonsible for the connection), I've been
considering upgrading my siteban manager.

I delegate to my connection manager most things...that way banners,
timeouts, and error messages can be handled by the code most familiar
with the protocol being used by connections to the port in question.
For example, it allows HTTPD to send error messages back as a web page

a) allow code itself to issue automatic sitebans on a fail2ban sorta basis
b) as a base for a, having bans automatically expire
c) having bans logged, at a minimum by who issued them
d) allowing LPC code itself to issue bans (basically using the klib's
"username" of the module in question)

Noticing my test box getting nailed by alien IPs obviously misusing my
telnet port has upped this priority