[DGD] Overriding kfuns

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Wed Feb 8 23:41:50 CET 2017

A related behavior which might not be obvious at first glance is how this
works for inherited code.

Lets assume objects a and b, where a inherits b.

Lets stick to your example, and have object a define an lfun for explode().
Lets also assume you have code (your member function) in object b which uses
explode()

Now, when b gets compiled, dgd does not know anything about an explode() lfun
in a, and any reference to explode() in b will use the kfun (or an explode()
afun if it exists). Object a can as a consequence mask explode() but it will
only affect code in object a and anything inheriting a, but it can't override
explode() used by the code it inherits.

If b however would define an lfun explode(), a can mask that lfun, and the
function in a will be called when code in b uses explode()

iirc efuns on a classic lpmud driver have similar behavior, but it has been
some 15 years since I last touched one of those.

Bart.

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 16:05:52 -0600, Blain wrote