[DGD] The battle of the protocols (was: A small toy)

Raymond Jennings shentino at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 00:40:09 CET 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 3:10 PM, <bart at wotf.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 14:04:38 -0800, Raymond Jennings wrote
> <snip>
> > We live in the 21st century, and people know by now about ports and
> > addresses.  It's time for browsers to stop treating users like morons.
>
> Except for the technically inclined who had an opportunity to investigate,
> most people don't know and generally don't have to know about such things.
>
> Anyway, browsers only using a few standard protocols makes it a lot easier
> keep browser based apps and sites working in an otherwise strictly
> controlled
> network which doesn't allow direct internet access (such as in many
> corporate
> environments).

I beg your pardon, but TCP is a very standard protocol...just at a lower
layer than HTTP.

I'm only saying that a TCP/UDP based api would be useful.  I'm NOT saying
that security policies should allow SUCCESS at using the api though...

The hoops one must jump through to get a plain old stream connection is
very annoying.  Java or flash applets usually wound up having to be written
and I'd much rather just use javascript.  Javascript is more transparent
anyway and I'd rahter run a script than load an unknown black box with
flash or java in it.