[DGD] DGD 1.5.5

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Mar 15 09:47:49 CET 2017

bart at wotf.org wrote:

> With dgd supporting outbound tcp connections and this addition of udp,
> 'vanilla' dgd supports most things the network extensions seem to be used for.
> I do use the ability to open arbitrary ports, and there are some slight
> differences in behavior.

The network extensions don't support UDP very well.  There is no notion
of UDP connections, so all incoming packets on a UDP port are kept in
the same buffer by the OS, from which DGD reads one packet once a while
in between executing LPC code.

After the introduction of UDP connections, it becomes possible to have
a dedicated thread reading incoming UDP packets and storing them in per-
connection buffers.  That will make supporting 1000 UDP users feasible,
just like 1000 TCP users are now.

> I suppose this also means being able to send udp datagrams from an udp user
> object, but is it possible to initiate sending udp from dgd?

Not yet.  If the network extensions can be reworked to provide only that
additional functionality, through for instance connect(addr, port, "udp"),
then as far as I'm concerned we can do away with the NETWORK_EXTENSIONS
macro.

Regards,
Felix Croes