[DGD] DGD 1.5.5

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Sat Mar 25 22:44:51 CET 2017

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 21:41:38 +0100, Felix A. Croes wrote
> bart at wotf.org wrote:
>
> > A small patch to make the network extensions compile again after this change.
>
> A simple enough fix, but to be honest I think it is time for the network
> extensions to stop adding ifdef'd exceptions and move closer to the base
> functionality.

I certainly agree that is the direction in which things should move.

The binary connection + udp channel functionality is not available with the
network extensions enabled, so udp_challenge at least should have been one of
those exceptions from the start, but somehow wasn't it seems (that would be an
oversight on my side)

It wouldn't be too difficult I think to keep things compiling without those 2
new exceptions, but I'm not entirely sure that leads to a better situation,
however, if that is preferred I'll look at that instead.

I'd rather aim for moving over the entire udp functionality to what 'vanilla'
dgd offers (with an additional 'udp outbound connection' feature), but that
involves changing the lpc interface. I'm sure that is the right way to go, but
not something I think should be done overnight.

For now that leaves me with 2 options, either getting stuck with a 'pre new
udp' version, or keeping things working and aiming for integration.

I think from reading your previous comments on this that it would help you if
the udp handling from the network extensions could be removed? From what I
know about the code it would make sense to me if that were the case.

I'll start a separate thread to try to get some responses about whom really is
using the udp interface. I am using it myself, but for example Gurbalib
doesn't use it in any way, which from my point of view would mean it doesn't
see that much use.

Bart.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrobjective/