[DGD] LLVM dgd side project

Carter Cheng cartercheng at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 00:45:01 CEST 2017

I am currently examining the possibility of modifying the current vm to run
instead on top of the llvm infrastructure. I am curious if I happen to
manage this whether something like this would be accepted into the main
distribution. Basically to get this to work there are two possiblities

1) Compile directly to llvm bitcode in comp/codegen.

2) Mirror some of the existing control block structure in a volatile cache
that gets updated when something compiles or when control blocks load from
disk and convert the bytecode on the fly into llvm bitcode.

I am not particularly partial to either solution. 2) is messier but retains
swap file compatibility while 1) breaks it. Is there some reason I might
prefer one to the other? How important is swapfile compatibility?

Regards,

Silenus