[DGD] Non english parsing

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Sat Nov 11 02:37:29 CET 2017

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 12:30:46 -0800, Raymond Jennings wrote
> Just had an interesting thought.  Is there much of a consideration
> out there for programming DGD's parser with a non english grammar?
>
> Example:  japanese, or chinese...or maybe even klingon.

Based on trying to create a parse_string based parser for my native Dutch
language, I found that more synthetic languages tend to not be well suited for
parsing with parse_string.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_language

In general, the use of helper words, and splitting meaning over multiple words
makes writing a grammar relatively easy as modifiers usually become separate
tokens with predictable locations in a sentence.

Going from that, English and for example Mandarin should work well, but
Japanese and for example German would be rather difficult.

Bart.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrobjective/
http://www.om-d.org/