[DGD] DGD good choice for MUD with large-scale city simulation?

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sat Dec 8 22:35:57 CET 2018

bart at wotf.org wrote:

>[...]
> > I'm planning a MUD that has a lot of non-standard functionality,
> > including an underlying city simulation
> >
> > in which objects (e.g. non-player characters or "mobs") are always
> > active, building emergent story lines.
> >
> > Ideally, I'd like millions of active objects. However, due to
> > performance constraints I may need to get by
> >
> > with a few thousand.
>
> A few thousand should not be an issue. I run DGD instances with a few million
> objects, many of those being active lots of the time, and this is possible as
> well, but it requires more care, especially it requires making sure DGD gets
> to do its housekeeping tasks often enough, and hence ensuring no code ever
> hogs the system.

The requirements are quite steep.  Millions of active objects on a
desktop system?  A professional would immediately order a cluster of
heavy servers for that job.  Then again, it is specifically what Hydra
was designed to do, and if the nudlib is designed well, it may just be
possible.

Regards,
Felix Croes