[DGD] Life and death

Dread Quixadhal quixadhal at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 16:45:01 CET 2018

An idea I had, years ago, was to build a parallel world that would run alongside the normal one the players interacted with.  Not ALL areas would be mirrored, only places where there were high concentrations of the living, or where many deaths happened.  The mirror world would be the land of the dead, and the imagery used would reflect what the normal world looked like, but darker, and described as indistinct, as if shrouded in fog.

When a player died, instead of springing back to life, they would shift into this ghost world.  As a spirit, they would gain new abilities and generally be more powerful than they were in life, but they would have only very limited ways to interact with the normal world.  They could see the living as shadows in the places where the two worlds overlapped, and a spirit could spend some energy to affect them (perhaps giving them better luck, or worse luck), or try to communicate with them (usually only effective if the living is a cleric or other spiritualist).

In my design, the goal of the living world would be to constantly find new ways to extend the life of your character, as every character would be given a death date as part of the character creation process.  As you die, or are seriously injured, that day would be pulled closer to the present.  Various things you could do or find in the game world would let you push that date further away… but with diminishing returns, so you had to constantly find new ways to solve the problem of your mortality.

In the ghost world, the goal is different.  You’re already dead, and you now seek to become more powerful so you can exert influence over the mortal world, and dominate the ghost world.  Part of doing this would be to absorb the dying essence of NPC’s as they were killed.  The challenge is to find them very soon after they die, as they become more powerful and harder to absorb if left alone to attune to the ghost realm.

Of course, you can also choose to find a way to return to the land of the living, by returning to your corpse’s location and allowing a cleric to pull you back to your body.  This becomes more difficult as time passes, and there’s one final piece to the puzzle of risk vs. reward.  A mortal can die many times, but a ghost is already dead and can only be destroyed.  If you die in the ghost world, it’s perma-death and you will be rolling a new character.

So for the players, the risk vs. reward would be interesting.  Staying in the ghost world can get you more experience, faster than being in the mortal world.  There might even be abilities you can learn that could be taken back to the land of the living, but can only be learned there.  But, the longer you spend there, the harder it is to leave… and being killed is the end of your story.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10