[DGD] Object upgrading

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Wed Jul 4 08:40:31 CEST 2018

On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 17:44:40 -0700, Raymond Jennings wrote

<snip>

> > Second question, why suspend the system here, and not at the beginning of this
> > entire process?
>
> The suspend is merely intended to protect the upgrade() call from
> being preempted by regular activity.

I understand WHY you suspend the system, that was not the question, the
question was why do that just before starting the *DATA* upgrade part, and not
before starting the compile.

Unless you immediately follow with the upgrade after compile (in which case
you will still have outdated code being active), you very likely want to have
a call_out inbetween, and that also needs to be protected from other activity,
hence my question: why not protect the entire process, so compile + everything
related to upgrade until you can safely have other activities run again?

Bart.
--
https://www.bartsplace.net/
https://wotf.org/