[DGD] Microsoft & Github (Off Topic)

Raymond Jennings shentino at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 03:51:41 CEST 2018

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 6:04 PM, Dread Quixadhal <quixadhal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Likely a boon.
>
> Not only more money to develop it, but since they’ll use it internally, they’ll fix some of the annoyances it has.  The tricky part is extending it in such a way that other git software can just ignore the new features they’ll add.  Hopefully the git people thought of that.
>
> One feature I’d like is to have it preserve timestamps on both files and directories when cloning or unpacking.

That sounds like something that would require support from the core
git protocol itself.

For example, do tree objects support timestamps or just an association between
filename and the sha1 of the associated object?

In a nutshell, a tag points to a commit, and a commit points to its
parent commits and the tree representing the root directory.  Each
tree object has a mapping between a name and a sha1 hash of the
associated object.  If the object is a file, then it's a blob.  If
it's a directory, then it's a tree.

Only the commit has timestamps associated with it AFAIK.

git has a specific protocol and internal structure.  You can't just
randomly paste extensions onto it without wrecking compatibility.