[DGD] Simul-kfuns

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Mon May 7 21:00:35 CEST 2018

On Sun, 6 May 2018 16:52:36 -0500, Larry Moore wrote
> My issue is, that I didn’t want to bloat the auto object with all
> of the simul-kfuns. However, having a simul-kfun file included in
> the auto object doesn’t allow you to compile the individual simul-
> kfun file, since it is in the auto object and the auto object is in
> all objects so you end up with an endless loop, so you can only
> compile the auto object to find out if your simul-kfun file has an
> error in it.

If you want something which works functionally similar to what simul-efuns do,
whatever they are defined in will have to be inherited by all objects, else
the 'simul-efuns' will not be available in every object.

The consequence is that it is by far easiest to put them in the auto object,
but there are alternatives, you can create a special 'second level auto
object' for this purpose. You may want to take a look at gurbalib and how it
manages /sys/lib/safun, which to some extent tries to implement this.

> I suppose my issue is that I have been coding in MudOS
> so long, and our plan is to convert our MUD that has been running
> for 20 some odd years from MudOS to DGD, and I wanted to make the
> transition as easy as possible for my staff. If I have to code the
> simul-kfuns in the auto object, then I can do that, I was just
> wondering if there was any other way.

That is not an easy task, and you'll have to be quite familiar with DGD.

Way of the Force (https://wotf.org/) is based on a very early lpmud 2.4.5
derived lib, and still feels quite similar. Getting that to work as well as it
does took many years, in part due to having to build the required DGD
knowledge on the way, but also in part because some assumptions which work
well on mudos (and other traditional drivers) do not work that well on DGD,
but are used a lot in 'classic' lpc code. One example is using a .c file both
as an inheritable and a clonable (through one can make this work as Felix did
in cloudlib for example), but there are a few more.

Bart.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrobjective/
http://www.om-d.org/