[DGD] Hydra

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon Sep 17 01:18:20 CEST 2018

bart at wotf.org wrote:

> Linux has different schedulers. If it is useful for you, I could rerun the
> test with those different schedulers. I'm not sure which one was active while
> I ran the test, as this is normally managed by tuned on this system. This is
> because my everyday use of this system is as an esxi server which among other
> things runs one fairly big vm which has direct access to some pci-e devices
> for storage and networking. I can also boot that vm 'physically', which I did
> for running that test, and which I at times do when wanting a linux host on
> bare metal and with lots of cpu cores.

Even on a bare metal system, we are probably already seeing a
significant impact from various meltdown/spectre mitigations, which
are known to be expensive on older hardware.  What matters for this
particular benchmark is whether the line for the highest core count
is straight, and if not, where it bends.

Your system already performed honourably in the configuration that
would be used for a real deployment of Hydra.  What I need at this
point is really tests on more modern CPUs, including non-Intel CPUs.

Regards,
Felix Croes