MUD Design Digest V1 #52

Chris Lawrence clawrenc at xsvr1.cup.hp.com
Fri Nov 22 13:45:58 CET 1996

> From: S001GMU at nova.wright.edu
> Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 15:32:51 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Re: something or other...  been too long

> terribly sorry it took so long to get back to this.  working 50 hours a week
> and taking classes on top of that is really taking a huge bite out of my
> amount of free time... :(

Hehn.  You spend all day find bugs in an OS that has a time time running in the
first place.  Real fun.  "Gee -- it just PANICed for the 85th time today!  I
wonder if that's due to a SCSI bug (that I'm interested in) or just because it
PANICs a lot anyways..."

The early stages of OS development is a barrel of fun.  Trust me.  <sigh>

> >I'm faintly entertaining the notion of doing surface meshes for objects
> >with an associated texture to apply to the mesh.  There would then be a
> >sequenced set of meshes or fractional meshes (eg a mesh just for an arm
> >or leg) for the various body positions.  Collections of meshes and their
> >associated texture patterns would be referred to by unique names, along
> >with coordinate and construction information to assemble the mesh
> >appropriately with the correct texture.  Object changes would then just
> >update the set of meshes for the object, along with possibly installing
> >filters or localised edits to the texture maps...
>
> how would you communicate the information to the reciever, just send
> the actual mesh data across, or did you have a client that could store
> a set of meshes and the server could just say load mesh #X?

Its all pie in the sky, golly-gosh-something-like-this-might-work stuff.  The
basic idea is/was to have an intelligent JAVA client which builds and maintains
a local DB of meshes and textures.  The server then merely details a mesh
position and its relevant texture (via unique names for each) to have the
client paint it approriately (ignoring lighting and all the other fun details).
 Updating the client would be a whenever the client hit an unknown object, or
during any periods the pipe isn't full.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com