Greetings. :)

Shawn Halpenny rsh at dos.nortel.com
Wed Apr 9 10:18:05 CEST 1997

On Apr 8,  9:07pm, Jeff Kesselman wrote:
> Subject: Re: Greetings. :)
> At 11:45 PM 4/8/97 -0400, you wrote:
>

> >BTW Does anyone know how to create a "magic number" from any given size
> >block of memory?
> >

> Magic nume how?  Somethign that uniquely ids the block, how abotu the base
> address?
>
> Somethign that ids the contents, how abotu your basic CRC.  Thatsd perty
> quick if coded effciciently and IDS teh contenst pretty effectively.
>
> JK

Yeah, a CRC32 would give you a magic number for the block (I'm assuming you
mean something unique-per-block?).  Or if you really wanted to go out the
window with it, perhaps MD5?  There's some MD5-related stuff (enhanced
performance alternative) at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~fishkin/md5/

--
Shawn Halpenny