Execution

Fri Apr 11 06:59:10 CEST 1997

:Whilst we're on the subject of compilers and all that sort of mish mash
:which goes over my head, anyone ever looked at PCCTS?	It's some sort of
:C++ compiler making tool and it's free (free and c++ being the operative
:words for me).

I think that's the system that a fellow at work is using for some
preprocessors that we need. Something in it is called Antlr.
It is working for him, but the lack of detailed documentation on the
generated C++ code is causing him some severe headaches. He just found
a bug that took a couple of days to find. The problem was that there was
a hidden constructor with prototype (char *, int x = 0, int y = 1), that
was being used over his new one with prototype (char *), and it took a
lot of digging to find out that this was in fact what was happening. The
surface symptom was that somewhere down the road, a pointer in a parse
tree node was bad. Anyone know why the compiler didn't flag the two
constructors as ambiguous or something? He's using gcc, I think.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA